Buller Festival 2016 – 26, 27, 28 February
25 Years of Buller Fest
Buller Festival is a three-day Whitewater Kayaking and Rafting festival held annually on the Matakitaki and Buller rivers in Murchison, New Zealand. From its inception 25 years ago, Buller Festival has grown into the countries biggest whitewater event and attracts competitors from all over New Zealand and around the world.
Buller Festival is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year on the 26th, 27th and 28th of February 2016. Buller Festival is one of the biggest events held in the Murchison area each year. Usually a sleepy town, Murchison is situated on the doorstep of some of New Zealand’s finest paddling grounds. Buller Festival doubles Murchisons’ population for one weekend a year. It is an event that is greeted with much anticipation both with the Murchison locals and the wider whitewater paddling communities.
Buller Festival events are based around participation and cater to all levels of paddling ability, ranging from the beginner through to the elite. The aim of these events is to ‘get people on the river,’ encouraging competitors and spectators alike to share their passion for paddling.
Buller Festival Highlights
- Kayak Boater Cross – 4 paddlers at once racing down a section of whitewater on the Matakitaki River
- Kayak Slalom – offering both elite and novice courses, O’Sullivans Rapid, Buller River
- Rafter Cross – teams of 6 in provided rafts, racing down a course set up on O’Sullivans Rapid, Buller River
- Cardboard Cup Race – build your own 2 person craft with cardboard and duct tape and paddle a flat water section of the Buller River
- Stand Up Paddleboard Race – white water event and flat water event
- Gear Expo – runs for the entire weekend at the river events
25 Year Reunion
This year marks 25 years of Buller Fest joy and a reunion of all the guides and boaters who have been coming over the years is in order. Get your old school gear together and help rock the Buller old school styles. Spread the word!!
Buller Fest 2014